INCI (Sambucus nigra). The usage of elder flowers can be dated back to the early Egyptians, who found that elder flowers improved the complexion and healed burns. Legend has it that Judas Iscariot was hung from the gallows which were made of elder, and the cross that Jesus was crucified was also made of elder. This is why baby cradles are never made of elder. Throughout history, elder has been burned to ward off evil spirits. Elder flowers are infused to make a tea that acts as an expectorant. It reduces phlegm, is a diuretic, and is an anti-inflammatory agent when used topically.
Country of Origin: Hungary
Uses in Cosmetics, Soap, Ect.:
1. Elder flowers can be used as a natural decoration in candle making. Herbs should not be added to candle wax that is actually burned. It can be added to hurricane shells that are never burned, or simply placed around the base of pillars as a decoration.
2. Elder flowers can be used in many potpourri formulations
3. Elder flowers can be used in natural bath tea recipes
4. Elder flowers can be used as a decorative element. Elder flowers have anti-inflammatory properties that are useful in soaps, lotions, and other bath products.
5. Elder flowers can be used in the formulation of natural herbal waters, face toners, aftershave, and bath bombs.
Note: Natures Garden sells our herbs for external use only. We do not sell them as food items. (The information we provide is for educational purposes only. This information is not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration). Keep all herbs out of reach of children and pets. Special care should be taken by pregnant and/or lactating women when handling herbs. Natures Garden accepts no responsibility (written or implied) for any products you make with our herbs. All testing is the responsibility of the customer.